Skip to content

Building a Solo Law Practice, Part 3: Forget LLC or PC—Simpler is Better

September 14, 2011

This is the third post in an exclusive series by guest blogger Doug Greenberg, a successful tax solo based in San Francisco, CA. 

Once you actually start a law practice you will have to decide how to operate.  What type of tax classification will you choose?  Will you be an LLC, a corporation, or a sole proprietorship?  When choosing how to operate, people generally have two things in mind – taxes and liability.  As a tax lawyer, I deal with these issues quite often.  And I have a simple rule of thumb.  Simple is better.

First, let’s discuss liability.  People often believe that if they form a corporation or an LLC or LLP, people will no longer be able to sue them.  This is false.  If only it were so easy!

Unfortunately, anyone can be sued for their own negligence, regardless of whether they were working for a corporation or entity at the time.  For instance, if you form David the Lawyer, Inc., your clients can still sue you personally, even for mistakes that you made while working for the business.  This is because any conceivable mistake could be attributed to you personally.  So your clients could sue you for your own negligence and then seize your personal assets like any other judgment creditor.  The same would be true even if your paralegal or assistant had made the mistake.  Similarly, the client could sue you personally, for being negligent in hiring or supervising this person.

So what is the solution?  In a word, insurance.  As a solo attorney, insurance—not an LLC or corporation—is what provides you with real liability protection.  This is why I encourage many small business owners to forgo forming a complicated entity and simply act a sole proprietor.  It’s a much simpler way of doing business and it is much more cost-effective.  Entities require administrative work, incur complicated state taxes and fees and often require you to file additional tax returns, which you may need to hire someone to prepare.  While an S-corporation, LLC and sole proprietorship are all treated the same for federal income tax purposes, forming an S-corporation or LLC may require you to make additional filings with the IRS and prepare additional tax returns.  There are state tax pitfalls too.  Here in California, corporations and LLCs are charged $800 per year, even if they never make a dime.  Pennsylvania has a complicated regime of its own, which includes a capital stock and franchise tax (among others).

Trust me, when you are just starting out, you will have enough problems to deal with.  Keep your business simple.  Save the time and money, form a sole proprietorship and buy some good insurance.  To make things even easier, include your full name in the business.  This way you don’t even have to file a fictitious business name statement with the county.  For instance, I operate as the “Law Office of Douglas Greenberg.” As the Law Office of Douglas Greenberg, I never had to file a fictitious business name statement (there’s nothing fictitious about it).  I just went to the bank, got a business account, got some good malpractice insurance, and went on my way.

Other posts in this series: Part One (the decision to go solo), Part Two (choosing a specialty), Part Four (gaining practical experience as a young lawyer), Part Five (preparing to go solo mid-career), and Part Six (getting clients).

7 Comments leave one →
  1. April 21, 2013 9:48 pm

    Hi, I believe your site might be having internet browser compatibility issues.

    Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but
    when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Apart from that, wonderful site!

  2. June 8, 2013 6:02 am

    Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue.

    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

  3. June 27, 2013 12:02 pm

    Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a applicable deal.
    I were a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vivid clear concept

  4. July 9, 2013 2:58 pm

    How do you know your malpractice insurance is good? And what happens if you (or your children) hits someone with your car? If you don’t have the money to pay $125 per year for an entity or you don’t have the time to manage your business, then you don’t have a business… you have a job.

    • Jonathan H. permalink
      January 10, 2015 6:28 pm

      Did you understand any of this? Even if your malpractice insurance is bad (or you don’t have any), an entity (be it a PC, PLLC, LLP, etc) will do exactly jack and shit for your own personal malpractice. If you’re Joe the Solo Lawyer, having a PLLC instead of a sole proprietorship will do absolutely nothing for you in terms of your personal malpractice liability. Nothing. Your point makes absolutely zero sense and betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what the post is about.

      Your second point is slightly better, but that’s another reason to not cheap out on auto insurance.

  5. March 6, 2015 2:35 am

    Hello Dear, are you actually visiting this web site daily, if so after that
    you will absolutely take good know-how.


  1. Creative Technology Ziio » Building a Solo Law Practice, Part 3: Forget LLC, LLP or PC …

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: